Tuesday, February 06, 2007

It's a Zoe-sicle! She and Caleb were outside playing together the other day and this is how she looked when she came in. What you can't see is the snow melting all over her as she stands there. Don't let her look fool you, though. They were having a ball out there. The last 2 days it has been too cold to go outside, with windchills below freezing. Thank goodness this house is big enough to run around in or we'd all be suffering from severe cabin fever. I was taking mental inventory this morning and realized how calm things have been lately. (...and having said that, I have probably jinxed it...) I'm not sure I can adequately explain what it's like to go through this attachment process and I'm sure it's different for every family. With us there has been this push and pull dynamic from the beginning, especially between Zoe and her new mommy. But I realized not long ago that the intervals between the times when she is actively pushing me away have been growing, from a few days to several weeks now. And they seem to be shorter in duration, a bad day here and there versus days or even a full week of blech. I've also noticed a difference in the way she says "Mommy" lately. Again, very difficult to explain but very real, nonetheless. She decided she wants a Dora party for her next birthday - she really thought Caleb should have one and did NOT understand why he wouldn't want Dora and Boots. I think it's interesting that she is thinking so far ahead and is obviously assuming she'll be here when that happens. That has got to represent some kind of huge mental step that she's taken, even if it's subconscious. We have two Chinese (Lunar) New Year parties coming up and I'm looking forward to meeting some other adoptive parents. Zoe is excited to go to her "China parties" and it will be interesting to see how she reacts to it all. As for Caleb, he recently asked me if we were planning to have any more kids. (Yikes!! He turns 8 and the gloves come off!!) According to him, two is enough. He said, and I quote, "...we have Zoe now, and that is fine, but we don't need any more..." The good news is that having Zoe here is fine. Hey, I'll take that.

No comments: