Monday, July 10, 2006

I thought I'd share a few Zoe-isms with you:
Her English is getting better and better. One morning a few days ago, she came out of her bedroom after I had already gotten up. I was sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee when Zoe stepped into the family room. She stops at the door, stretches (both hands over head -- one hand gripping her bear, the other her bunny), yawns, and says, "Mornin' Ommy!" It was the most natural thing in the world. How awesome is that?
In the past, when she would see pictures of herself, she would call herself by one name or the other depending on whether the pictures were taken at the orphanage or with us. When she would see a picture of herself at the orphanage, she would call herself YaChu, while in pictures of herself with us she called herself Zoe. Now she doesn't really like to see pictures of herself at the orphanage -- this is an interesting new development. We've started working on calling ourself Zoe YaChu Morrow -- I'm hoping she'll get the idea that she's both of those people, the before and after the adoption, and that that's ok. It must be so confusing on some level for her to make sense of it all. I can't imagine what she's thinking sometimes.
Someone asked me if it was harder parenting an adopted child. The answer is no, not harder, just different. With Caleb, I never felt like I had to prove to him that I was his mother, that I was the one in charge. With Zoe, however, it seems that I'm constantly having to prove that I am. That's not to say that she hasn't accepted me and bonded with me, because she has. All the hugs and kisses, bedtime stories, tickles, cuddles and time just spent together, getting to know each other, has certainly made me 'Ommy to Zoe. But there are times, sometimes whole days, where I feel like she's testing me. One thing is for sure, she's making me earn it.

Other things to tell you about her: she loves "jujic" (music) and will dance and sing to anything, funny is hearing Zoe sing the Spongebob Squarepants themesong - what a riot! Her new favorite word is "OW!" and she plays it for all its dramatic effect. Anything, any touch, even a slight breeze, will have her clutching a body part and howling, "Oooowwwww!" as she looks at you to see if you're buying it. Sometimes she just wants attention and the cuddles that come with a boo boo and other times she tries to get her brother in trouble. Caleb won't have passed within 3 feet of her, but she'll holler, "OW" and then try to tell on him. Quite a little instigator, our Zoe. She loves going shopping and relishes the opportunity to pick something out at a store and then take it home. Loves, loves, loves it!! Could get expensive when she gets a little older, though.

No comments: