It's hard to believe, but it's time for Zoe's next post-placement report. These reports are due every 3 months in her first year home and then annually until 2014. Basically, they let the agency in Taiwan know that Zoe is happy and healthy and that they did a good thing by making Zoe a Morrow. I think the reports are also available to Zoe's birth mother, should she ever decide to check up on her. At first, writing the reports always seems a little daunting...how do you sum up the entire experience in just a few words? How do you explain the struggles (some that are just typically "I'm 3 years old" and some that are something else entirely) and manage to convey the absolute joy that Zoe brings with her every time she enters a room? These reports always get me to thinking back over the months that have just passed and reliving some of the moments we have had. Here's some of the Zoe-isms of note: - the day Zoe stunned us all by writing her name, by herself, without copying it from anything. She was saying "Z - O - E" over and over, she grabbed a pencil, and next thing we knew, she had written her name. The E was a little funny, but it was definitely ZOE. Uh...yeah...she's 3!!!! - the stubborness continues unabated...enough said - she seems worried lately that her home with us may not be permanent. She is needing constant reassurance that this is Zoe's house...she asks the question dozens of times a day. When I tucked her in for her nap just a few minutes ago, I gave her a kiss and then started to leave the room. She called to me, so I turned back. She said, "Mommy, is this Zoe's house?" I said, "Yes it is...forever and ever and ever." She smiled, with a look on her face that I won't soon forget, and said, "Thank you, Mom." Then she rolled over and closed her eyes. We're trying to find ways to help her understand that we're hers forever, but I think it may be one of those things that she's just going to have to learn to trust as more and more time goes by. I'm sure it's related to her love of naming all of us over and over again, as well. She likes to list us (Daddy, Mommy, Caleb, and Zoe!!!!! - which she pronounces Vo-wee) and tends to end the list with a "Hooray!" - She likes to watch me fold clean clothes and name the owner of each article of clothing. She cheers every time I pull out something that is hers. When we put her things away, she seems both fascinated and delighted that everything in the dresser is hers. Last time, she pointed to each drawer of clothing as I opened it and said, "This is Zoe's and this is Zoe's and this is Zoe's....all Zoe's! Hooray!" Every once in a while it reminds you that there must be some things going on inside her cute little head that we just can't imagine.
Monday, December 04, 2006
It's hard to believe, but it's time for Zoe's next post-placement report. These reports are due every 3 months in her first year home and then annually until 2014. Basically, they let the agency in Taiwan know that Zoe is happy and healthy and that they did a good thing by making Zoe a Morrow. I think the reports are also available to Zoe's birth mother, should she ever decide to check up on her. At first, writing the reports always seems a little daunting...how do you sum up the entire experience in just a few words? How do you explain the struggles (some that are just typically "I'm 3 years old" and some that are something else entirely) and manage to convey the absolute joy that Zoe brings with her every time she enters a room? These reports always get me to thinking back over the months that have just passed and reliving some of the moments we have had. Here's some of the Zoe-isms of note: - the day Zoe stunned us all by writing her name, by herself, without copying it from anything. She was saying "Z - O - E" over and over, she grabbed a pencil, and next thing we knew, she had written her name. The E was a little funny, but it was definitely ZOE. Uh...yeah...she's 3!!!! - the stubborness continues unabated...enough said - she seems worried lately that her home with us may not be permanent. She is needing constant reassurance that this is Zoe's house...she asks the question dozens of times a day. When I tucked her in for her nap just a few minutes ago, I gave her a kiss and then started to leave the room. She called to me, so I turned back. She said, "Mommy, is this Zoe's house?" I said, "Yes it is...forever and ever and ever." She smiled, with a look on her face that I won't soon forget, and said, "Thank you, Mom." Then she rolled over and closed her eyes. We're trying to find ways to help her understand that we're hers forever, but I think it may be one of those things that she's just going to have to learn to trust as more and more time goes by. I'm sure it's related to her love of naming all of us over and over again, as well. She likes to list us (Daddy, Mommy, Caleb, and Zoe!!!!! - which she pronounces Vo-wee) and tends to end the list with a "Hooray!" - She likes to watch me fold clean clothes and name the owner of each article of clothing. She cheers every time I pull out something that is hers. When we put her things away, she seems both fascinated and delighted that everything in the dresser is hers. Last time, she pointed to each drawer of clothing as I opened it and said, "This is Zoe's and this is Zoe's and this is Zoe's....all Zoe's! Hooray!" Every once in a while it reminds you that there must be some things going on inside her cute little head that we just can't imagine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment